Every trucker who has spent any time on the road knows the name, Rand McNally. For over 100 years, the company has been providing various solutions for the trucking community and made a name as one of the biggest companies in the world.
For those truckers who are looking for a turnkey solution for the ELD mandate laws, the Rand McNally ELD plug and mobile application are perfect. Thanks to its affordability and simplicity of use, any trucker and fleet manager will love this system.
What You Find in Rand McNally ELD Package
To make the package as affordable as possible, the ELD system from Rand McNally consists of two devices:
- An ELD plug.
- A mobile device supplied either by Rand McNally or by the user.
The ELD 50 plug is small and looks like an oversized car cigarette lighter. Once plugged in, it connects to the accompanying mobile device through Bluetooth. That way, you can elogs, car health information, mileage tracking for fuel taxation, and all other compliance checks.
For those who want more full-featured tracking and monitoring solutions, the company has different devices on offer.
- DC 200 – It is anelog and fleet management solution in sleek, low profile design.
- DC 200S – An addition to the TND 740 monitoring device to make the entire system fully compliant.
How to Install the Rand McNally ELD
Rand McNally offers a real ELD solution. Installation takes seconds. To get started:
- Visit the Rand McNally online shop here.
- Order your package of choice. It typically takes a few business days for it to be delivered, depending on your location.
- You will need to order a tablet (TND 740), or supply your own. Download the free Rand McNally app on Playstore.
- Once you get the ELD plug, connect it to your vehicle’s diagnostic port. It can be found just below the steering under your dashboard. The plug fits by pushing it in with some force and then rotating the flange cover clockwise until it locks in.
The plug is designed for the 9-pin diagnostics JPort. Most heavy-duty trucks have it. However, lighter trucks can have the OBD-II port, or some even the green 6-pin port. In that case, here is how to do the installation:
- Purchase an OBD-II/JPort replicator cable. You can get it online or from a parts shop near you.
- Remove the dashboard panel cover from the diagnostics port.
- Unscrew the square port holder.
- Join the Y-cable and the connector.
- Fix one arm of the cable back to the holder using the square bracket. Fix the plug to the remaining arm of the Y-cable.
- Fix the wires back into the port and screw in the panel cover.
Once the plug is fitted, turn on your ignition. Launch the McNally app on your smartphone and let it search. Grant it Bluetooth permission if it asks for it.
When it pairs, you will now be ready to experience the world of simple, fast, and hassle-free elogs thanks to the Randy McNally ELD system.
Article submitted by Justin Grau – CMO for BestELDDevices.com.