A sudden and involuntary contraction, commonly known as a spasm, of diaphragm muscles causes hiccup. Due to the spasm action of the diaphragm, air gets trapped in the vocal cords, causing the hiccup sound. Usually the hiccups go away on their own, but sometimes the even tend to last for longer durations. Do not feel scared because of it, as hiccups are not dangerous. If you think that there would be a trick that would cure your hiccups as suddenly as they started, then you are going to be disappointed. This is because there is no scientific way yet discovered or invented to stop hiccups, but there are a few tried tricks that you can try to stop your hiccups instantly.
How To Stop Hiccups Instantly
Common causes that may have triggered your hiccups are ~
- Eating really fast or big bites
- Swallowing air along with eating the food
- Eating too much fatty food or spicy food, or drinking lots of carbonated drinks
- Any disease that may irritate the nerves that control the diaphragm
- Some noxious fumes could also trigger them
- If you just had abdominal surgery, it might have ticked those nerve cells
- Strokes or brain tumor, and some chronic medical disorder have also been reported to cause hiccups
- Fear or excitement could also start hiccups
Some common ways to stop the hiccup problem ~
- First, hold your breath and swallow three times.
- You can try breathing in a paper bag
- Drink a glass of water in a big gulp
- Swallow a big spoonful of sugar
- Pulling on your tongue has also been helpful in some cases
- Gargling with water
How To Get Rid Of Hiccups Fast
How can you stop you hiccups immediately?
Here are some tried and tested methods ~
- Gulping down a spoonful of sugar – It is a popular hiccups cure because the graininess of sugar could slightly irritate the esophagus and this will cause the phrenic nerves to reset themselves, thus curing your hiccups.
- Taking in something sour – Like vinegar, or a spoon full of lemon juice. Taking a spoonful of sour food it could stop a hiccup in its tracks
- Having your favorite hot sauce – Yes, it might sound stupid to take in hot sauce, but the heat and burn are distracting enough to turn your boy’s attention from the hiccups towards the spices.
- Have a small amount of honey – Or you can mix it in some hot water and swallow it. It would tickle the vagus nerve to make hiccups stop
- The sweet alternative, Chocolate – The process is a little difficult with this method, you have to eat some powdered chocolate drink mix directly from the spoon, and swallow it.
How Long Do Hiccups Last
If you find that the hiccups are continuous and it had been more than three hours since they started, you must go and visit your doctor immediately, as it could be something serious. A doctor will be able to run some tests to know the actual reason behind your hiccups and will be able to help you with some medications in case of chronic hiccups.
Ways To Stop Hiccups
Here is a video that you can watch ~
Steps To Get Rid Of Drunk Hiccup
How to prevent the drunk hiccups you ask? Well, to be honest, you may actually be drinking yourself into hiccups. The carbonation in the drinks can cause you to swallow too much air with your drink, which results in your hiccups. Chugging your beer can cause an intense attack and make you begin to hiccup. What you can do in that case is suck on a lemon quickly. The sour taste will stop your hiccups.
Can these involuntary hiccups be prevented?
Yes, they could be, but not always. In some cases, you can avoid getting hiccups by avoiding overeating, eating too quickly, or drinking too fast so that air will not be swallowed along with your food or drinking item. You can also avoid them by dring your sodas slowly.
Did you like it? Comment and share!