When you use chemicals to control pests in your garden or farm, there are chances that you or your pet might get Pesticide Poisoning due to getting in direct contact with enough of the substance. So, how do you know that you have been infected? Or how can you stay protected from it? What are the symptoms? Through this article, I will try to explain everything in a really simple way, and if this confirms your doubt about getting infected by the pesticide, then you must get to your doctor immediately.
Pesticide Poisoning Symptoms
What is Pesticide Poisoning?
Many people believe that regular use of pesticide is safe. Many use them without any professionals help, and some even use them without wearing gloves and masks. Even if small amounts of pesticides won’t hurt you initially, but staying contact for long, or with enough of the substance, you might get infected and get pesticide poisoning.
Due to the toxic components of pesticide, there is a likelihood that when you touch, inhale, or eat some pesticide, you may experience some health effects. This result is referred to as pesticide poisoning.
How much are you in risk?
The amount of risk you are in from the use of pesticide is directly proportional to the amount of exposure you have with the pesticide. If you were not in direct contact with the pesticide, nor were you anywhere near, then you will have low to no risk of having pesticide poisoning. But if you were in direct contact with the pesticide, and you inhaled or ate even a little bit of the pesticide, then you are at very high risk of getting infected.
What is the initial step when you get exposed to a pesticide?
When you come in contact with a pesticide, keep in mind the situation in which it happened. You must remember the time and duration of the exposure. The length if the time the exposure occurs and how much pesticide actually entered your body are important details that will allow the doctors to understand your risk.
Minimizing the chances of getting into trouble –
If you have to use a pesticide yourself, or someone is getting pesticide sprayed in your neighborhood, then you must look for ways to avoid the exposure. You can choose a product with lower toxicity, but still, you got to use proper measures. You can use personal protective equipment like goggles, gloves, masks. And for your pets, try to send them away for a few days.
Signs Of Pesticide Poisoning In Humans
General symptoms of pesticide poisoning include –
- Irritation of the nose, throat, eyes, or skin
- Headache and dizziness
- Thirst, Nausea, Diarrhea
- Coughing, feeling constriction in throat and chest
- Excessive perspiration
- Trembling and muscular incoordination
- Small or Pinpoint pupils
- Increased breathing rate, rapid beating of the heart
If you see any of the above symptoms in yourself or someone near you, visit the doctor as soon as possible.
You can call 911 or the American Association of Poison Control Centers on “800-222-1222” for further guidance.
Symptoms Of Pesticide Poisoning In Dogs & Cats
Since there are various kinds of pesticides that are being used in the neighborhood, your pets can also catch the infection. And the symptoms to know about this poisoning also include a wide variety.
If you have a hunch that your pet might have been exposed to a kind of pesticide while getting the routine walk, then you must look for these symptoms in them.
Poisoning in Dogs and the symptoms –
- Vomiting and Diarrhea
- Rapid Breath, Excessive intake of water
- Drooling, confusion
- Dilation of pupils
- Skin irritation or rashes
Poisoning in Cats and the symptoms –
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea
- Labored breathing
- Dilated pupils
- Abdominal Discomfort
- Seizures, Tremors
- Lack of coordination
- Twitching, Head Tilt
If you see any of the above symptoms in your pet, take your pet to the vet immediately. You might be suffering from severe pesticide poisoning or any other harmful disease. The vet will do a thorough examination of your pet, and will tell you the cure for it.
What were your thoughts on our post on Pesticide poisoning? Do tell us in comments!